It would appear that in this fast-paced time not only are our lives becoming more busy and complicated, our bathroom cabinets and makeup bags are too!
I have definitely been guilty of making my beauty routine way more complicated than it needs to be. Lured in by the beautiful design and packaging of a myriad of products that all claim to do something wonderful yet unique for my look. That is until l discovered the joy of multifunctional beauty products! I have since found that choosing products that fulfil multiple purposes have many benefits beyond simplifying my daily ritual.
- Save money - it goes without saying that more products = more expense. Since reducing the amount of products I purchase I have realised the staggering amount of money I was spending on unnecessary beauty buys. Not to mention the fact that most of them then sat rarely used in my bathroom cupboard.
- Reduce waste - over 120 billion units of packaging are currently produced every year by the global cosmetics industry. The cardboard boxes that house lipsticks, face serums and moisturisers contribute to the loss of 18 million acres of forest each year. And if consumption continues at this rate, by 2050 there will be 12 billion tonnes of plastic in landfills. Choosing multifunctional products means we contribute far less to these overwhelming statistics. One of my favourite multipurpose products of the moment is the Carrot Colour Pot by Ere Perez. It is a gorgeous natural colour balm that can be used as a lip, cheek and eye colour, reducing three products to one. Which means reducing your waste by 66%!
- Save space - like many Sydney-siders who chose to live where the action is, my living space is limited. Multi-functional products allow me to minimise clutter not only in my bathroom, but in my home in general, allowering for a less cluttered, more livable space.
- Expiry - using less products more frequently ensures they remain fresh and at their most potent. Most people don’t realise that cosmetics and personal care products have an expiry. As they move closer to their expiry the active ingredients of the product tend to become less effective, not to mention the product itself can become more susceptible to developing fungal and bacterial contamination.
- Reduce stress - in this busy, faced paced world anything we can do to simplify our lives will have a positive effect on our health & wellbeing. Reducing the 'stuff' in our lives helps us to reduce stress and be more in tune with the important things in our lives.
Not sure where to start? Here are some of our favourite multifunctional products:
The Face Tan Water by Eco Tan is three products in one! Toner, fake-tan for your face and decolletage, and can also replace your foundation!
The Aloe Lash & Brow Mascara from Ere Perez performs as lash food, delivering nutrition to help grow the lashes of your dreams, a glossy mascara for both natural and fake eyelashes, and a brow groomer.
Sans [ceuticals] Nourishing Hydratant Ultra+ can be used as a hair conditioner, hair smoothing serum, curl defining styling cream or hair mask! A cure for all your hair ills.
Papaya SOS Marmelade from Ere Perez this wonder balm can be used on lips, cuticles, dry-patches, flaky skin, insect bites or scars. A true all-in-one remedy!