Here at Nourished, we believe that every step counts and that every move you make, will bring you closer towards your goal and kinder to the environment. Luckily there are so many great initiatives across the globe, brands and businesses who support a more sustainable way of producing and creating plastic-free alternatives to everyday items. In this article we will share with you our TOP 7 tips & alternatives that will help you reduce your plastic footprint in an easy, affordable and most of all FUN way!
1. The Humble Co.One of the first things we do when we wake up is brush our teeth. Did you ever think about the fact that we can save 10 billions of plastic oral care products every year if we all personally choose plastic-free alternatives? The Humble Co. call themselves the bulldog in the fight against plastic oral care products and made it their mission to create premium, evidence-based and environmentally friendly dental care items that enhance the quality of life by improving lifestyle choices and habits. Pair this with our Nourished Bamboo Charcoal Toothbrush and you’re good to go!
2. Hair affairBefore you leave the house, have a quick look in the mirror. Feel & look good all over while you brush and add volume with the pure and plastic-free Bamboo Hair Brush and Nourished x Romy Dry Shampoo cardboard shaker refill option. Enjoy the view Beauty!
3. Blessing in disguiseA scratch or bump never comes at the right time, so having a staple of bandages in your bag or at home is always wise. We love the Adhesive Bandages from PATCH not only because of their cute and cheerful patterns (no worries they have minimal designs too) but also because of the fact that they are sustainable,hypoallergenic and 100% compostable. Literally every little piece from the bandages tube packaging down to the wrapper will break down in just a matter of weeks. Isn’t that amazing?
Looking for eco-friendly sanitary products that are good for your vagina AND the planet? Grace & Green is here to fulfill your plastic-free period wishes! They are one of the only limited brands that are completely plastic- free, offering biodegradable and organic pads, liners, tampons, and wrapping. Crafted from the highest quality ingredients, packed in beautifully designed boxes to look great in every bathroom and toilet.
4. This one if for the ladies
5. Super powers
Like to travel around and explore different places? Your backpack must be full of essentials for your trip. A bottle of water, food and snacks to name a few necessities. SuperBee is our favourite supersource when on the go thanks to their beautifully handcrafted and reusable Beeswax Wraps, the perfect solution to store your snacks and sandwiches and to keep your food fresh and safe, thanks to antibacterial beeswax properties. No disposable plastic bags needed for your trip!
6. Small wash, big wash, Hexawash
With travelling comes washing, and even when at home this can be a challenging job. Figuring out with detergent is biodegradable, how much product you need, without spilling it everywhere around… SuperBee has made it easy like 1,2,3, even for when your partner or kids are taking over. All you have to do is add your Hexawash into your machine and let the magic happen. This washing bag is 100% biodegradable, made from recycled materials and lasts up to 365 washes. It completely replaces all your laundry detergents and plastic bottles. It will not only save you money and space in your laundry room, it will also keep our precious waterways clean and help minimize your plastic footprint!
7. Level up your plastic-free game!
For those who like to level up their plastic-free journey and want to check if your products, or the products you would like to buy include microplastics which can be harmful to our ocean and aquatic life. We highly recommend you make use of the BTMB (beat the microbead ) application that you can download (right now) to scan the ingredients on your product and check if there are any plastics inside.
Interested in more plastic-free alternatives? We've listed all of our favourite eco-friendly beauty swaps in our 'plastic-free' collection which can be found here. And for the diehards, make sure you read our online article Must-haves to start your zero waste journey to find out all the perks and essentials for a sustainable life.
We hope this article has inspired you to start living a more sustainable life by reducing your plastic footprint with easy, affordable and appealing alternatives. Feel free to reach out to us on Instagram, chat or email if you would like to know some more or need a little extra help on your plastic-free journey!